Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Diabetic Supplies & Insurance

So when we first saw our family physician they gave us a wonderful meter for free that came with test strips and lancets and then wrote a prescription for the like.  When I went to fill the prescription I was told that my hubby's insurance didn't cover the supplies for the meter that we were given.  So we get this free meter but now we are told we have to buy the one the insurance will cover or we will have to pay full price for the supplies for the meter the doctor gave us.  Just in case you haven't ever priced the supplies they are outrageously priced.

I checked with Bayer, the maker of the free meter we received and they did offer a co-pay card so that you could get test strips for $15 for a box of 100 without insurance or $15 for a box of 300 with insurance.  I took the little discount card to our pharmacist and they didn't have 100 pack test strips only a 50 count so I only received a discount.  I ended up having to pay $26 for 50.  It makes no sense to me at all.

What to do?  I guess I have no choice but fill the prescription for the brand the insurance will pay for so I can get supplies at an affordable price.  Let me hear from those who have had similar experiences.  What did you do?  Do you have any suggestions on getting the brand you want at an affordable price?

We were given the Bayer Contour EZ but our insurance covers the One Touch.  Let me hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment