Saturday, March 24, 2018

Eating Can Be Done Affordably

From the minute we came home from the ER on that Sunday I started researching diabetes and what foods we should and should not eat.  Even though I do not have it, I chose to eat the same things and not eat the same things my husband could and couldn't.  He was not going to do this alone.

It's important that I know what to buy when grocery shopping since I am the one who does the shopping.  Also, know that being diagnosed with this didn't mean that we could no longer eat out.  It's OK to tell the waitress that you do not want any rolls while you wait.  BONUS TIP:  Also, if you're not like us and share a meal, it's best to get a to go box before you begin eating and go ahead and box up the foods that exceed the recommended serving size.  That will keep you from overeating.

As far as grocery shopping I've always heard and said that you cannot afford to eat healthy.  I have disproved that fact.  The fact is you just have to learn how to shop.  I've always made my grocery list based on the weekly ad.  It's life, we live on a tight budget.  My list used to have all those sugary cereals, bread, bagels, chips, you know all that stuff that we like to eat that isn't good for a diabetic (or really anyone).  I've learned that you can still shop the ad but you only shop the perimeter of the store.  Think about it.  The produce, deli (for lunch meats & cheeses not bakery items), fresh meat counter, meat, dairy, you get the picture.  If I go in an aisle it is to get oatmeal, not the box of packets but the canister of old fashioned oatmeal or something like that.  I also buy the white whole wheat flour for anything that needs flour.  We also do not like to use artificial sweeteners and recently discovered how good coconut sugar tastes.  I sub that in baking, which I"ll share a favorite recipe for a "sweet snack" at the end of this article.

Back to the grocery store.  I had read that fish is a great meat to have in your weekly meal plan so we try to include it once a week.  I love salmon, my husband likes it but prefers Cod or whitefish.  I have found some great recipes on Pinterest for both.  I also only buy wild caught fish not farm raised.  We no longer eat mashed potatoes or french fries but mashed sweet potatoes, baked sweet potatoes or even mashed butternut squash  or brown long grain rice.  When I get to the end of shopping my cart is full of fresh produce, meats, eggs and cheeses.  I also learned to check the yogurt you buy as well.  We all think yogurt is healthy but the sugar content is very high in some types.  My husband has always eaten yogurt daily.  Now I'm limited to what I buy for him but found that Siggi's in the large container is lower in sugar.  I'll get vanilla or with a touch of honey and then he adds a little granola  or fresh fruit.  On average I spend about $100 for two weeks of groceries (all three meals).  Of those two weeks we may eat out three times for dinner.

I save money because I shop the ad and I download digital coupons from my grocer's website.  You can use paper coupons but for me, I'm just not organized enough to do that.  I also meal plan prior to going shopping.  I do stick to my list and meal planning prior to going and making a list keeps me on track.  I typically buy chicken, pork, and fish.  If I find a large family size pack on sale, I buy it and split it up before putting it in the freezer.  We also eat a lot of eggs now, so I tend to buy an 18 count carton or if the 12 pack is on sale I pick up two cartons.  My grocery store of choice is Harris Teeter.  I love their website because I can make a list and email it to myself and download digital coupons to my e-vic card.  It doesn't save money to shop at several different stores (time is money & I'm not driving to every store that has a sale item I need).

Here's a sample of our daily meals:

Breakfast - eggs either scrambled or omelette with bacon or sausage links or old fashioned oats with raw walnuts and cinnamon
Lunch (packed for work) - deli ham with cream cheese spread on it rolled up, carrot sticks & cucumber slices, nuts for snack, yogurt, apple or pear and a string cheese (it sounds like a lot but diabetics need to eat between meals so this includes snacks for the day)
Dinner - meat & two veggies or 1 veggie and a salad

Side Note:  lemon water is a great way to naturally reduce your glucose.  I fix my husband a lemon water every morning and he keeps his cup refilled all day.  Also, cinnamon is a natural reducer so use it in everything you can (I've even put it in chili).


Here's the recipe mentioned earlier:

Flourless Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
1 cup all natural peanut butter (only ingredients should be peanuts & salt)
1/2 cup brown sugar ( I sub with 3/4 cup of coconut sugar)
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup chocolate chips (dark chocolate is best for diabetics or you can leave them out)

Preheat oven to 425 and grease an 8 x 8 baking dish using coconut oil.  In mixing bowl mix the first six ingredients until combined.  Fold in the oatmeal and chocolate chips.  Press batter into prepared baking dish and bake for 22 minutes.  You have to let these bars cool completely before cutting into bars.  If you attempt to while they are warm they will fall apart (I know from experience).  You should get 16 bars. 


No comments:

Post a Comment